Saturday, June 12, 2010

Rainy day in MacArthur

MacArthur. This strange little town in Vinton Co., Ohio. I am convinced that there is something about that place that just isn't right. Just not quite right. I seem to have odd expereinces there--nothing to weird but just makes me a bit uncomforatable. I suppose it is basically the east coast girl in rural southeastern Ohio Appalachian small town. I have had my car engine blow up there and had to wait at the spooky gas station with the creepy men, I got my only speeding ticket in many many year there and the state trooper creeped me out. I would see the strangest things a the gas station there in town--strange people and strange behaviour. See, I used to drive through there everyday on my way to Chillicothe when I worked for the National Park Service at Hopewell Culture National Historical Park. I always hoped that I would not have to stop there along the way to work or home. The only bright spot about the place is the tiny ice cream stand that made the best milkshakes.

Anyway, we went to the Vinton County airport this morning so M could try to do some RC flying at the local fly-in. Well, we got rained out and headed into town to find something to eat. Did see two or three Amish horse and buggies. We went to this place on Main St. and it was weird. We walked in and the entire place went quite and they all stared at us--or course we are the outsiders. And of course, my kids are not behaving themselves all too well, and the food took forever and it was not all that good and everybody had to check us out--like I said creepy and not quite right.









No comments: