Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Choices

Been thinking about choices lately. Not your everyday, " do I want fries with that" kind of choice--yet I do struggle with that choice daily too, but that is another topic. I am talking about the big choices in life, the life changing choices we make that have gotten us to where we are right now. I reflect on those choices, wonder if they are the right choice or not. I often miss the career I was beginning, often wish I could go back to doing what I truly love, hope that one day I will get to do it again (but really the hard part is knowing deep down that it is most likely not going to happen). And with each little step away, year away, door that could have opened and doesn't, it makes me reflect on the choices I did make. When I mention my disappointment about such things, I often hear " Well you made a choice". Yes, yes I know I made choices.
They were choices that were right for me then and when I look back, I still feel the same way about those choices.
But more/most importantly, when I look at my life--while not perfect by any means--is pretty fantastic. So, I don't have the career I thought I wanted. Okay. What I do have is so much more. When I put my two amazing children to bed each night, talking with them about their days, rubbing their sweet little backs, watching them as they nod off to into slumberland--safe in their world, happy, full of laughter, love and wonder--I realize that they are what make all those questioned choices worth it. It is those two who make me realize I made the right choices in my life.

No comments: