Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dragons-R-Us

So, for some reason, when my kids graduated to real beds from their cribs, we just used the blankets we had laying around the house. For some unknown reason, we have an ungodly number of blankets around the house--piles of them. I suppose it is the accumulation of both M and my life together and also as single adults that combined households when we got together. And then, as you know, you never get rid of blankets--they are very useful.

Each kid sleeps with like three blankets piled on top of them. Why we didn't get them a comforter or duvet, I don't know. But seriously, have you priced a comforter later--way to pricey and I don't want to give in to the Disney thing either--no way!!! So, Bean does of have fleece blanket I made for him when he went into his big bed (he was about 2.5 at the time) that is a CARS blanket (yes I know a bit of disney crept in, but I made it for him so it doesn't count). Recently he asked me if he could have a new blanket, as he is not into Cars anymore and it is a little kid blanket. Other recent events surrounding this request include friends coming over and playing in his room. coincidence? Probably not, but okay, I will honor his request for something more grown up.

His latest obsession (Cars, dinosaurs, sharks are all out) is dragons. So how does one make a dragon blanket? And for damn sure I was not going to buy one. Ya know, that crafty homemaker in me is convinced that I can do better than any store bought crap!

So, I decided to make him a duvet cover for this bed. This is what I came up with. I still need to sew it onto a backing piece (so close, but I never seem to do it!). I think he will love it. He has not seen it yet--a glimpse of picture of it. So, I will let you know how he likes it.

And as M reminded me, I better get ready to do one for Yaya next. True, very true. (sigh)


No comments: