Monday, April 11, 2011

Life and the kids

Love this and "borrowed" from Valerie at Mamapedia Voices.

I try to not borrow too much from others writing and ideas, but I read this today and thought I would share. I deal with with on a daily basis when I come home to all the chaos. However, I must remember and accept that the chaos is what life is all about.

"So does it matter that our home isn’t ready for its Better Homes and Gardens photo shoot? I’ll admit, it bugs me sometimes. But then I remember. Home is where we lay our heads at night while the kids lie sleeping by the light of the filthy fish tank. Home is clutter, chaos, half-finished projects, and having to clear the kitchen table off before we can eat on it. Home is tiny shoes and socks strewn throughout the house. It’s finding strange objects, like green plastic pickles, in weird places like our bed or in my makeup bag. Home is fingerprints and noseprints on every glass surface there is and peanut butter streaks on the wall. Home is piles—I mean PILES—of library books and closets jammed with toys, games with broken boxes, and puzzles with missing pieces. It’s finding Play-Doh crumbs a week after you played with it. Home is blanket forts in the living room and responsibility charts on the wall. It’s hash marks on the closet door jam showing how big they’ve grown, and stools by the sink so they can reach. It’s all of this not-so-perfect-looking stuff and yet, that’s what makes it so great.

Our house will get decorated someday. For right now, it’s home."



1 comment:

Stef said...

This totally made my day. Love it! Thanks for sharing.