Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Allegra's Laugh

As of late, Luca has been loving his nightly bath and insists that Allegra and I get in with him and add lots of Lightning McQueen bubbles to the bath. I often accommodate him, thinking, 'great I can get both kids clean at the same time, cuts down on the pre-bedtime activities'. I don't always like getting into a lukewarm bath, but hey, it works.

We'll last night Luca asked us to join him in the bath, I agreed and climbed in with Allegra. As we sat down, something must have struck Allegra as funny. She burst out with the loudest chuckle I have ever hear from her, or any other baby for that matter. And she continued to laugh for about 5 minutes. We all joined in with her--laughing and chuckling--on order to get her to keep laughing. It was hilarious. She has the best laugh--kind of deep and throating. She just giggled and chuckled at who-knows-what, grinning from ear to ear.

We take for granted laughter--we aren't born with it and it take some time to develop it. When babies finally do acquire it, it is amazing to see how their eyes light up and they smile with their entire face. They are unafraid to laugh out load and aren't worried that someone will judge them or scold them. We take for granted laughter and most of us don't laugh enough each day. It lightens the heart and offers a chance to connect with others. It affords you the chance to feel young again. Laugh, please, laugh today and everyday.

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ~e.e. cummings


1 comment:

Gretchen n Kevin said...

So great, Cooper is laughing now too and it's so fun trying to get him to chortle.
I admire you being able to handle raising both kids and still writing consistantly...what an inspiration! xo